Monday, June 20, 2005

I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes...

Of songs that offer clues to how it feels to be "in love" (the big uncontrollable first love), I think nothing says it better than The Troggs' Love is All Around Me.

And nothing shows the oblivion of the lover better than their line
You know I love you, I always will
My mind's made up by the way that I feel.

Yeah. Right.

But it DOES feel that way. And that brings to mind a quote from a recent movie, "Maybe feelings are feelings because we can't control them." A fine movie, partly about love. Not much. And while most feelings can be controlled, "in love" is the least controllable of all.

I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes
Your love is all around me, and so the feeling grows;
It's written on the wind, it's everywhere I go,
So if you really love me, come on and let it show.

You know I love you, I always will
My mind's made up by the way that I feel;
There's no beginning, there'll be no end,
'Cause on my love you can depend.

I see your face before me as I lay on my bed;
I kinda get to thinkin' of all the things you've said;
You gave your promise to me, and I gave mine to you;
I need someone beside me in everything I do.

And if you like that, be sure and see the movie Love Actually, starring that song and many other British stars (and a few Americans).

No comments: